Friday, November 19, 2010

Using up the leftovers!

Leftovers.
No really my favorite thing, unless we're talking about fabric {grin}.

I'm talking about food stuff leftovers. Specifically, pasta and veggies from last night's dinner. Even my little ones don't care to eat warmed up buttered pasta. What does my son say, even at 2 years old?
Oh yeah, "Yucky Mom. Just yucky." Kinda says it all.

So, this is one thingI do to save a bit of time and money, and USE those "yucky" leftovers.




 Last night we had buttered elbow macaroni, corn and broccoli. The corn was vanquished, but I was left with gobs of mac and broc. What to do? Whip up Cheesy Mac & Broc!

Today, I made up a basic cheese sauce (eek, you say, CHEESE?) No worries, you make it as healthy or not as you'd like. I'm all about easy (and isn't broccoli healthy?)

So, take your leftovers out of the fridge so they come to room temp. While that's happening, whip this up:

Basic Yummy Cheese Sauce
6 tbsp. butter (use the kind you like best)
4 tbsp. flour
1-1/4 cup milk (I used skim)
1-2 cups shredded cheese. I like low-fat half cheddar, half mozzerella
1 tsp.dry mustard

In a medium saucepan, melt the butter on low heat. Whisk in the flour and cook a couple minutes (to get rid of that icky flour taste). Slowly whisk in the milk. Warm through. Increase heat to medium and add the cheese and mustard. I wisk every 2-3 minutes and then switch to a plastic, heatproof spatula. I have so learned that cheese is sticky! Best to use plastic, non-stick pans, utensils and serving dishes whenever gooey cheese is involved. Yield: well, I forgot to measure, sorry. But I think it's about 2 cups, maybe a bit more.

Now, add this to whatever you have hanging out in the fridge! This cheese sauce I had enough for an entire dinner for tonight. It is great over any veggies because it's light and creamy. Note: if you need to reheat the cheese sauce, add a touch of milk to make it creamy again.



This picture tells the story - it is THAT yummy!

~Carrie

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...