Friday, November 1, 2019

Journaling?

So I heard something on a podcast the other day that’s got me thinking. I’ve always journaled the good, the bad, and the ugly. I felt that getting it all on paper whether in a scrapbook or journal, was cathartic and helped tell the story. All of it makes up who we are, right? We shouldn’t sugarcoat reality. We need to own it, accept it and push forward, good or bad.

The podcaster suggested this is not a good idea. She said to only write down your positive thoughts, your affirmations and successes. When you journal, you’re making it real. You’re solidifying your truths. If you immortalize your negativity or bad things that happen in your life, then you’re affirming those ideas and essentially propelling them forward.

Huh.

I see her side of this debate. I really do. But isn’t that living your life in a rose-colored bubble? I’m not suggesting we wallow in our grief or sorrow or anger, but we shouldn’t ignore it either. We should identify it, live with it a bit and understand why our feelings. Only then can we let it go to move on.

Maybe I need to journal about this.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...