Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Sew much fun!

This new mystery quilt just started and it’s been so cool already! See my first block here.

Dorinda’s 2011 Mystery only started January 1st, and we already have 2 blocks done. Today, the third rule was released today and I can’t wait to get started (after my “chores” of course!)

Here is my block #2

Dorinda's 2011 Mystery Step 2

The rules stated that it had to measure 12x8 finished, include a hexagon somewhere and relate the theme of our quilt in a rectangle. My theme is
“scrappy anything” as an excuse to use up my scrap stash. I feel so guilty sometimes buying new fabric that I thought it was about time I did something with my scraps. Isn’t it funny that from a pile of disorganized bits and pieces (really, nothing bigger than 3” strip length, 3” square or sew) that I’ll end up with an actual quilt? Like found fabric if you ask me!

The hexagon star is a paper pieced pattern I came across by accident surfing for free patterns. The neutral strips were added around that log cabin style and then trimmed to form the rectangle. These strips are leftover from a shower curtain project back in 2004.

Here are my blocks sewn together

Dorinda's 2011 Mystery Steps 1 & 2

Fun, huh? And to think all the fabrics came out of my scrap pile.

What do you do with your scraps?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...