Wednesday, February 16, 2011

SBS Round Robin Progress

I am part of a round robin (where we actually work on each other’s quilt tops and mail them around) – we started back in August 2010 and we only have one round to go – woo hoo!

This round robin is only “part” a true round robin., Yes, we are working on adding borders to each others quilt tops, and then mailing them to the next quilter on the list to then add her own border. Where it’s a bit different is that we’re all working on the same quilt top pattern using our own fabrics and colorways. In a true round robin, we’d each design and add our own borders to the quilt tops, each one unique to the quilt top itself.

We are working on the cover quilt from the Elm Creek Quilts book by Jennifer Chiaverini and Nancy Odom. Honestly, it’s not a quilt I would’ve ever tackled on my own. It’s beautiful, but a bit overwhelming for me personally. The gals in the online quilting group enticed and persuaded me, and it’s a super fun project. So glad I’m doing it. Something about working on someone else’s quilt…easier to do for another than for ourselves perhaps?

So, I just finished up the fourth of five rounds. It’s a half mariner’s compass border. Here is what I’ve done on Kathy T’s quilt top:

 Round Robin Kathy T's top Round Robin Kathy T's top Round Robin Kathy T's top Round Robin Kathy T's topRound Robin Kathy T's top

It’s out in the mail today to the next quilter for the final round, a crazy patch paper-pieced border. I am iching to see my quilt top – no one has posted a photo of it in our group since round three….it’ll be a special surprise when it shows up on my doorstep in March!

Now, have you read any books by Jennifer Chiaverini? Why not? They are seriously fabulous and addictive! She has an entire Elm Creek Quilts series of novels, and a bunch of quilt instruction books, too. Her web site is here. Her latest book The Union Quilters is out this month! So cannot wait to get my copy – you won’t see me for about a day and a half while I read it cover to cover!

Let me know what you think of Jennifer’s books – and if you’ve never read one, head over to her website right now! (Jennifer hasn’t a clue I’m posting about her and her books, I just really REALLY like them! Plus, she is a super sweet lady, too.)

2 comments:

dq said...

Your contribution to an already beautiful quilt is FABULOUS! I'm pretty picky and I would let you work on one of my quilts.

Great work!

Susanne said...

I love Jennifer's books and the characters, especially the one about the underground railroad. The mariner's compass border is beautiful! Those are my favorite colors- purple, blue and pink- so springy.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...