Thursday, December 9, 2010

What are we making?

Ever since ever since, I've been making gifts for giving. Especially at holiday time.

Recently, my daughter and I attended the best girl scout event. Older scouts organized a talent show where admission were items to send to our troops oversees. While there, girl scouts of all ages made cards for our servicemen and women and painted flour/salt ornaments for them.

A lightbulb went off.

I painted these kind of ornaments as a child, why not my kids?

Loving Google Search, search I did. Found a zillion links for recipes, one that sounded very good and I tweaked it a bit to work for me.

And Joann's had these on sale for $6.99 down from $24.99 AND I had a coupon for 20% off!



One fun Saturday mornin' we made ornaments! Here's the recipe I came up with:

Carrie's Tweaked Salt Dough Recipe
4 cups flour, and some in reserve
1 cup salt
1-1/2 cups warm water

Mix flour and salt together in a large bowl.



Add warm water gradually.


Knead dough and add more flour if dough is sticky, more water is dough is dry....believe it or not, you'll know it's right when it's right.


 

 
Now is when the fun starts!



Roll out your dough in small batches. I like to roll my dough out between sheets of waxed paper, flouring under the dough and on top to reduce sticking.


Roll it out no thinner than 1/4". If it's too thin, forget about getting them off the waxed paper in one piece. Use your fave cookie cutter shapes and go to town. If my 2 year old can do it, so can you!!!!!



Use a straw to poke a hole for hanging and now it's time to bake 'em. Okay, don't go crazy with the straw like my little guy did, 'kay?



I sprayed unlined cookie sheets with non-stick spray. I experimented a bit and really, the slower you bake them at a low temp is best for me. If you bake them too fast and too high, they puff up and then are too fragile to handle. So, what did I do? I used a 250 degree temperature and baked all 60 for 1-1/2 hours. Checked them and ended up baking them for another 30 minutes. They just need to set a bit more. I did them in batches, not all 60 at once (I just knew you were thinking I must have a huge oven!)



Cool these completely and then it's time to paint.

Now, looks at how much fun-ness we had...






More on our painting fun later - betcha can't wait! Just remember, my wonderful silly kids are 2 and 6, and there were 60 ornaments to paint!

Okay, your turn - bake off some today {grin}.



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...