Friday, July 8, 2022

Graduation Quilt for my Girl

Over a year ago, I started a special project for my daughter. She was set to graduate high school in mid-June 2022, and I was determined to make a quilt for her to take to college.

Jewels' favorite color is red, and Lori Holt was hosting a Red Sampler Quilt a Long on her blog. The 12" and 6" blocks came straight from a collection of her books (Farm Girl Vintage, Farm Girl Vintage 2, Great Granny Squared, Vintage Christmas, all of which I had. And boy, did I have an abundance of red and white fabrics to use.

So, I worked on blocks, 50 of them, in secret. While she worked no more than 10 feet away from me on school tasks, I chose fabrics and pieced blocks. One day she caught me. When asked, I simply told her that I was making some red and white blocks and wasn't sure how I would be putting them together (seriously the truth!) I added some patterns that meant something fun for her; a camera as she's majoring in photography, an owl for education and a cow as she has a special affinity for that particular farm animal.

As I worked, Jewels expressed more and more interest. I finally told her that I was making her graduation quilt. Elated isn't a strong enough word. She was over the moon! Now she can help me pick out fabric and plan the layout. 

Once the layout was done, I quietly completed the top and sent it to the longarmer for quilting in January. I added backing and Cuddle to the back so she'd have a heavy and snuggly quilt to bring to college. I stopped talking about the quilt, and kept it hidden for a few months.

Jewels indeed graduated with awards and a perfect 4.0 average in June. That same afternoon, I surprised her with the completed quilt. Even though she knew about it, Jewels was so surprised and excited to see it finished!




This labor of love brings a smile to my face every day. Seeing it on her bed, and wrapped around her helps ease my mind that in a few short weeks she'll be nearly 80 miles away on her own in college. I am hoping this small piece of home will remind her how very much she is loved, no matter where she hangs her hat.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...